LSPB are looking for an enthusiastic and hardworking individual to join our breeding team, to assist in the oilseed rape and pulse crop breeding programmes.
Who are we?
LSPB are a UK plant breeding company, wholly owned by German breeder NPZ-Lembke. We are leaders in the spring field bean market, as well as having competitive oilseed rape varieties, all of which help the UK farmer to maximise their yield. We have breeding work across a range of species including oilseed rape, winter wheat, winter and spring beans and spring peas. Finally, we operate a service contract to assist the breeding and development of spring barley varieties on behalf of another major breeder.
Based near to Impington on Milton Road, just north of Cambridge. The site is easily accessed from the A14.
• Assisting the breeders with the broad spectrum of tasks related to the Oilseed and Pulse breeding programmes
• Data management is part of this role – uploading and dealing with data on Excel and inhouse software
• Trial seed organisation and seed preparation for both internal and external trials
• Assist in the drilling of nursery and trials
• Scoring plant characteristics and diseases as directed by breeders
• Visiting official and external trial sites
• Arranging import/export of seed with international shareholder and partners including phytosanitary certificates
• Assisting with combining/sampling of trials
• Hand harvesting of OSR and winter bean nursery
The nature of the tasks means work will include, at times, physically demanding tasks, outdoors in all conditions. Appropriate PPE will be provided for work in dusty and noisy environments.
What are we looking for?
• Somebody who is eager to learn about plant breeding
• An ability to work individually and as a part of a team
• Trustworthiness, reliability, and ability to work with key attention to detail
• Hold a full driving license
• Willingness to work extended hours during harvest, drilling and peak periods
• Basic IT skills
• Appetite for learning new skills and training – including PA1, PA11 and counterbalance forklift truck if certificates not currently held
Pay & Company Benefits
Competitive rate of pay based on candidate’s experience
30 days of annual leave plus bank holidays
Competitive company pension scheme
Private Health Care
Please submit your CV and a covering letter detailing why you would be suitable for the role to Chris Guest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org