We are looking for an enthusiastic and hardworking individual to join our team for a 15 month placement. Your placement year will include time spread across all sectors of the company in the trials team drilling, harvesting and field work, with the breeders scoring and learning the breeding process as well as with the commercial team in sales, marketing and administration. Being a small breeder, we are able to be flexible to ensure you get the best out of your year in work.
Who are we?
LSPB are a UK plant breeding company, wholly owned by German plant breeder NPZ-Lembke. We are leaders in the spring field bean market, as well as having competitive oilseed rape varieties, all of which help the UK farmer to maximise their yield. We have a wheat breeding program in its early stages, along with winter bean and spring combinable pea varieties on the market or near market. Finally, we breed spring barley varieties on behalf of another major breeder.
Based near to Impington on Milton Road, just north of Cambridge. The site is easily accessed from the A14, as well as being a short cycle to Cambridge city centre and just over 1 mile from Milton road park and ride.
Duties will vary across the different departments.
During harvest, your work will involve combine and hand harvest of all crop species as well as preparation and planting of winter beans, winter wheat, winter barley and oilseed rape, working alongside both permanent and temporary staff. Throughout the year your role will include assisting with crop husbandry. Any training required to complete duties will be provided.
You will assist our breeding team in all their field work as well as spending time in the lab testing seed quality, preparing seed packets, looking at selections for new varieties, and some field crossing. As well as in the office doing statistical analysis. You may also have the opportunity to run field trials looking into specific aspects of a crop.
The role will also include working with the commercial team in sales and marketing of LS varieties to our customer base, digital marketing to growers and the wider industry, assisting with agricultural shows, import and export of seeds, sales contract input and invoicing and research projects on aspects of the market.
The nature of the tasks means work will include, at times, physically demanding tasks, outdoors in all conditions. Appropriate PPE will be provided for work in dusty and noisy environments.
- Give time and effort to ensure you’re learning and getting the best from your placement, which may include industry qualifications such as NPTC Pesticide application courses if required.
- Train you in all of the tasks we ask you to undertake.
- Provide an immersive experience of our company
- Provide you with skills for your future in the industry and final year of study.
- Be studying for an agriculture/plant breeding/ agribusiness related degree
- Be enthusiastic, hard working and committed to your placement year, including being prepared to complete tasks in a timely manner and to a high standard.
- Appreciate and carry out our brand values (Innovation, Excellence, Transparency) and personality (Trustworthy, Approachable, Personable, Adaptable and Friendly).
- Hold a full clean UK driving license.
Standard hours are Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 5pm with an hour lunch break, extra hours will be expected over busy periods.
Remuneration will be competitive and based on the successful applicant, accommodation is not provided.
Please submit your CV and a covering letter detailing why you would be suitable for the role to Michael Shuldham: email@example.com
For further information or if you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us on email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01223 236808.